Monday, July 25, 2011

Minister of Care at Swedish Covenant Hospital

Sunday, July 24, 2011
1st Reading: 1 Kings 3:5, 7-12, 2nd Reading: Rom 8:28-30
Gospel: Mt. 13:44-52
Memorable Sunday.

At 8:30 A.M. on a muggy summer Sunday morning, I was awakened by a cell phone call. Immediately, I swept the cobwebs of sleep, went to meditating moment, paused for greetings to the Great Provider, and welcomed the inevitable coming of the day. I am one of the MOCs, Minister of Care. We are lay ministers sanctioned by the Parish Pastor to minister to the sick at hospitals, nursing homes, and homes; to those people who have no luxury to be at their Sunday's best to go to the cathedral, church, or chapel. I was on a schedule that Sunday. ( either I lost my schedule or I was not sent one; this is not new to my lector-minister's lexicon. ) I told Glynda, the one who called me to bring the things needed - the host and copies of the church's bulletin. So she did and we three MOCs met at Swedish Covenant Hospital.

I was assigned to the East Wing of the hospital's 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors.
I knocked on the door and introduced myself with greetings. This male person lying on his bed was hesitant to welcome me and told his tale of woe; the reason why he had not been in the church for over ten years. There was a tragic incident in his family life; a child died. I told him I was sorry for what had happened. Then I unfolded a story of a man who migrated to America, found a decent job, got married, and realized the American dream meaning a single-family home with a big backyard and garage, loving wife, dear child, latest model car. He even bought another car for his wife's birthday gift. In a nutshell, he was successful. He made it, so to speak. He loved his job but he loved his wife and children more. His family was a frequent churchgoer. He was up to date in his church's contribution and donation. He was living a typical, happy American life until tragedy struck. His beloved wife died in a car accident. He was hurt. He saw suffering and hopelessness. His life turned upside down. He blamed and cursed God. The wheel of a fortunate, happy life screeched to a stopped.

One day while walking on his way home, a sudden strong rain fell hard that it lasted over an hour. He was cornered and nowhere to go except to find shelter while the rain was pouring vehemently. By a fluke of circumstance and beyond his control, he found himself in a Sanctuary. He found a corner pew to rest his tired body and maybe his weary soul. What he heard from the pulpit was comforting and consoling. His heart was softened; his mind enlightened. Was this the Holy Spirit's light "amidst the encircling gloom?"

He came home attired with a smile and whistling. He played his favorite songs. He totally changed the way he looked at life. His attitude is more of gratitude.

The man with his lovely young wife was now willing to take communion. And I encouraged him to always pray especially that America needs the prayer of our Lady of Fatima. That prayer is very powerful. The world witnessed how and what prayer had done for Russia and Germany. And that man was very grateful that I came.

I knocked on another patient's door. This time a lady was happy to welcome me but she told me that she cannot receive the Holy Communion because she was not married in the church. I respected her wish. I gave her the church's bulletin, anyway.

I looked at my cell phone. It's quarter to eleven and I was a scheduled lector at eleven o'clock. I drove home to get my wife for the eleven o'clock mass. We arrived in the nick of time. My wife went to the Choir side and I sat at the lector's chair. Rev. Peter Fernandes, the pastor was ready to proceed together with the acolytes to the altar to commence the celebration.

"Those whom God predestined he called, and those whom he called he makes righteous, and to those whom he makes righteous he will give glory."

The second and third verses of St. Paul's letter to the Romans have the complex concepts of foreknowledge and predestination. These concepts have been the subject of intense theological debates over the centuries. St. Paul using the language of divine foreknowledge teaches us that God has been at work even before the creation of the world. Psalm 139 clearly tells everything. We can't hide or run away from God. He knew us before we were born. He foresees our thoughts and actions...
1 "Oh Lord, you have searched me and you know me... 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord....16 All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be...
Even before the beginning of time, God's plan for the redemption of the world began.

After the eleven o'clock Mass, St. Timothy's choir members gave Manny Lucero a good-bye lunch at a Chinese Buffet on Howard and Western. Fr. Peter Fernandez was present. Manny took over the music directorship temporarily when Julie Demerath, the music director passed away. He did a good job together with his pianist/singer-wife, Lorna Buenconsejo Lucero. Their last day in the choir is on Sunday, July 31, 2011, which coincided with the last mass of Fr. Peter D'Mello, SFX who is leaving for Goa, India for a new directorship position.

No comments: