Monday, July 25, 2011

Lector at Transfiguration church

Friday, July 22, 2011
Reading: Song 3:1-4b (or Cor 5:14-17) Gospel: Jn 20:1-2, 11-18)

I was the scheduled lector at Transfiguration Church where there is a novena every Friday at 7:00 PM.At precisely every seven o'clock on a Friday evening, the Holy Rosary starts followed by a novena to Jesus, the Nazarene. After that, is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. (This devotion is made popular in Quiapo Church, Manila, Philippines.It had helped weary travelers and ambitious students from the provinces.)

The first reading was on Song 3:1-4b. "On my bed, at night I looked for the one I love, I sought him without finding him; I called him and he did not answer. I will arise and go about the city, through the streets and the squares; I will seek the love of my heart... I sought him without finding him, the watchmen came upon me, those who patrol the city."

"Have you seen the love of my heart?" As soon as I left them,I found the love of my heart. I held him and I would not let him go till I have brought him to my mother's house, to the room of her who conceived me."

Love's recognition is unfolded in the encounter of Jesus and Magdalene. A name when uttered makes one feel something as did Mary come to her senses. Magdalene's eyes were opened seeing her beloved, Jesus. Likewise, our acknowledgment of God's presence will be awakened when in the sanctum of our hearts we intensely missed Him. When our whole being is geared and focused on that obsessed encounter with the Lord, we will truly know and love Him. And that love for the Lord comforts us to that enduring wait for Him.

Jesus (addressing to Mary Magdalene) said, "Touch me not, for I have not yet returned to my Father."

The gospel of John, particularly verse 17, reminded me of Dr. Jose Protacio Rizal's title to his controversial and immortal novel, Noli Me Tangere (Touch me not). Rizal was shot at Bagumbayan now the Luneta because of the prevalence practices of those in power like social cancer that was plaguing the country. And today, the Palace has not found a cure to that social cancer of graft and corruption that spread throughout every bureau, private and government offices, and business enterprises. Politics' strong tentacles are powerful.
The rich are powerful; the poor are pitiful.

(Note: Jose P. Rizal is the Philippines' national hero. He is a doctor, linguist, surveyor, writer, novelist, poet, lover, and patriot.

No comments: