Tuesday, July 05, 2011

June 26, 2011 Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ
Reading 1 Deut: 8:2-3, 14b-16a Read 11 1 Cor 10:16-17

Moses addressed his people as they approached the Promised Land after wandering in the desert for 40 years, reminding them with encouragement what the Lord has truly done for them. That going with out food and drink humbled them. Their only sustenance was: manna from heaven and water that flowed from the rock which leads them Israelites to know God's love and care; that every word that comes from the Lord's mouth provides sustenance.

There is a connection here to the solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ. The manna is linked to the bread of the Eucharist and the water to the wine. In addition, it also relates to the deeper liturgical truth that it is the one table of the Word and Eucharist from which we partake every time we participate in the Mass. (Dei Verbum, Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation, 21)

Being a lector on this Sunday, I came face to face with the reality concerning all the Lord has done for me and my family. And as I prepare to proclaim this reading memories flood my mind like when I felt I have been tested, when my preparations were not enough, when I sensed being criticized, or when I felt alone sans God's presence. Yet, recalling those moments brought me to my knees in humility, especially some sincere feedbacks from the assembly. Then I think of how great and good God is, how He fed me and enabled me to go on the task of proclaiming His Words that feeds and gives life to the congregation.

" I am the living bread which has come from heaven; whoever eats of this bread will live forever."

Jesus gives Himself to us totally, not only to sustain us day by day but for us to attain the fullness of life. Then the question, What do we really need in life? Pause, ponder and be silent for a moment. Search in the deepest center of your being.

Forget self and focus on what you can share with others that would really satisfy the greatest desire of their hearts.

No comments: