Thursday, August 18, 2011

ZAMNAI Bunker Hill Picnic

Bunker Hill Forest Preserve Remembered

On a crisp, sunny Sunday of the last day of July a large crowd thronged Grove 4 of the Bunker Hill forest preserve in a plethora of activities. It was a record-breaking attendance. It's Hudyaka Illinois 2011, an annual festive celebration of the people from the province of Zamboanga del Norte on the island of Mindanao, Philippines here in Illinois. It is a yearly jovial camaraderie, fellowship, get-together, reunion, chit-chat, and picnic session. And picnic tents dotted the mowed park of Grove 4.

This yearly summer gathering is vital to these province mates to showcase their talents and skills. Friendly competitions emerged in games of volleyball, tennis, bowling, and dart throwing. And also in dancing and sungka, a hometown game with similarity to dama (a prisoner's favorite) or Chinese checker. In the game of Sungka, players use marbles or pebbles and whoever has the last marble or pebble wins the game. It is fun and like chess, your mind must be as nimble as your hands move. These games were participated by organizations of the towns, of the schools, of the youth and business groups within the coastal province of Zamboanga del Norte known in the e-world as ZANORTE and the Zamboanga del Norte Association in Illinois as ZAMNAI.

The ballroom dancing contest and sungka staged on the shed sent standing ovations while wows and aahs filled the air. However, the crowd changed their attention when Volleyball was played under the blistering heat of July sun.

I met a buddy who was an erstwhile bank manager and now one of the owners of a home health care outfit. He told me that he still can't forget about my remark concerning his nasty smoking habit. He was glad about it and his children reminded him too on that. So, he did his best to stop smoking but he said, he can't even if he tried hard to do so. Well, I told him, how about, with my right fingers pointing skyward... prayer? Oh yes, I am doing my morning prayer..."Oh, Jesus through the immaculate heart of Mary, I offer"...That's good, I answered but try harder, praying the Rosary and at this point, telling him of my devotional prayer to the *Lord of Pardon which was my shield against the devil that's always waiting on our every corner and another weapon, the rosary bead hidden in my pocket. By the way, don't leave home without it.

Before we part ways, I dug from my pant's left rear pocket my wallet and took the chaplet of the Divine Mercy. There was that unique smile that enveloped his grateful countenance. Yes, a little thing can make a gigantic reward that will last a lifetime.

Note:
*This Lord of Pardon devotion consists of the daily praying of 15 Our Father's, 15 Hail Mary's, and invoking the almighty power and blessings of God, the Father humbly admitting your sinfulness being a sinner then asking the Most Holy VirginMary to intercede for you to her Beloved Son, Jesus Christ. Then, ask pardon for your sin and protection from your enemies and that eternal glory be granted to you. Say, "Pardon, oh my God, Pardon me, my offenses, Pardon, Lord, grant me"

No comments: