Thursday, October 04, 2007


On Music...

"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul." Plato.

We met this lovable person called Frank Chiswell ,(a senior citizen and sax player), who in our first meeting threw us a question on who wrote the Star Spangled Banner. Little did we know that he is a musician. He is a saxophone player. He said , "take away music and I am dead. " And little did he know that music, I mean really music not noise is a part of my life.

When I was new to this world, I learned to love music through Mother Nature - the melody from the bamboos, love notes of the mayas (rice birds), refrains of the brook, nocturnal scintillating tunes of the crickets, the songs of the wind. I hear music when I throw peebles in the river of my childhood that draws circles of ripples. There are notes etch in the sky as the clouds move rhythmically and finally comforts the thirsty earth.

Music is everywhere. You've got to listen to it. In this world of diverse music from different culture, you just have to change the way you listen to them. What is noise to others, make that music to your ears. And when we sing, the angels listen...

No comments: