Sunday, May 06, 2007

On Relationships (05/06/07)

"It's good to be known as individuals, but great to be known by relationships," wrote Fr. Darow, pastor of St. Hilary Church.

I found this amusing looking back on my unpretentious journey on the rough and smooth streets of the land called Life. All along the way I encountered people of different sizes, shapes, beliefs, habits, attitudes , nationalities and personalities. They all are human, loving, understanding and have unique philosophies in their own perspectives. They have fears. They want to live. They seek adventures.

It was a long journey. Enrolled in 7 schools. Took 6 courses. Finally settled to one with a major which to me is vague. I made it. And I am still a student in the University of Life.

With the above background, I was enthused with the euphoria on the relationships with the world riddled with uncertainties and concerns.

The commencement of the relationships with the Church was a fluke of circumstance . It was the invitation to enter the Seminary; then to the outside of its walls that triggered the close relationship to the Creator. I realized that this valley of laughter and tears is still a beautiful place to live. I saw it in the Botanic Garden. The blooming tulips of myriad varied colors. The silver swans gliding comfortably in the man-made lake. The Japanese garden with its dwarfed trees. The Japanese revered age. Reason why decorative plants and trees are cut or pruned regularly .

Meanwhile, this Sunday's first reading from the Acts narrated the successful first missionary journey of Paul, Barnabas and the members of the church of Antioch reaching a noted conclusion that - God had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. Historically, Judaism prided itself as being God's chosen people. And the idea of God offering salvation to the Gentiles ( to us) was still a controversial idea for many Jews.

I felt some sort of satisfaction as I opted the route leading to the Church. I developed friendly relationships with a priest, a bishop and a nun superintendent of RVM schools (who is a doctorate degree holder). With them in close door conversations I discovered that they all possessed humility, down-to-earthness, fondness for things beautiful, gratefulness, the profound love of the Creator and the creatures.

And in the church, I give credence to this relationship to the Almighty and to one another through the Lord -be-with-you's, cheek-kisses to loved ones and shaking of hands, even the Communion. I am still wrestling with the audacity to take this relationship from the "inside" of the church to the "outside" of the street. Not suffice just to believe. I have to live with it. And this faith-relationship must be manifested. That is taking it from the "inside" of the heart and soul to the "outside" of the words and actions.

The relationships did not only extend to a priest, a bishop and a nun superintendent but also on crossing the borders of memberships to devotional groups, the Toastmasters club, the Christophers and the Knights of Columbus . And all these have slowly molded me to a closer relationship to the Supreme Lord and Almighty Savior.

Truly, "it's good to be known as individuals, but great to be known by our relationships."

No comments: